I loved this page and of course, I had to share ...
Decorate your cakes at home like a professional !
Use these easy tips and instructions to learn how to decorate a cake like a pro! Find helpful hints for frosting a cake, filling a pastry bag and more cake decorating tips.
Tips for How to Decorate a Cake
- Decorating a cake with a flat top is best. When the oven temperature is too high, cakes develop rounded tops. Use an oven thermometer to check the temperature of your oven.
- To flatten a cake with a small crown, put a plate on top of it immediately after you take it from the oven. Push the plate down gently.
- Line your pan with parchment paper to ensure that the cake will come out of the pan easily.
- To apply nuts or coconut to the sides of a cake, hold the cake over a pan and gently pat the nuts, etc. onto the sides with your hand.
- To keep the cake stand clean while frosting, line the edge with 3-inch strips of waxed paper. Center the first cake layer over the strips. When finished frosting, carefully remove the strips one piece at a time.
- Before writing on a cake with icing, gently outline the words with a toothpick.
Frosting a Cake
Press the flat side of a tablespoon or teaspoon into the frosting and pull straight up, forming a peak. Repeat over top and sides of cake.
Run the tines of a table fork through the frosting in a wavy motion.
Use the back of a tablespoon or teaspoon to make a small twisting motion in one direction. Then move the spoon over a little and make another twist in the opposite direction. Repeat until entire cake is covered.
Starting on the edges, run the side of a table knife to the center of the cake. Repeat until the whole top is covered. Using the same knife, make vertical stripes around the sides of the cake.
How to Fill a Pastry Bag
1. Secure the frosting tip and coupler on the pastry bag. Place the tip of the pastry bag in an empty tall glass. Fold the wide opening of the bag halfway over the glass.
2. Use a spoon to transfer frosting to the pastry bag. When it's three-fourths full, pull the sides of the pastry bag up over the frosting. Remove the bag from the glass, twist the open end to close it and apply pressure to the bag to pipe the frosting on.
Cake Decorating Tips
Open Star Tip
Round Tip (Large)
Drop Flower Tip
Closed Star Tip
Round Tip (Small)
CREDITS: Taste of Home